Year 6 Transition
The transition between primary school and high school is a very important time in a young person's life and can cause anxiety for both pupil and parents.
Pupils transfer to YMH from a number of schools but the main feeder school for YMH is Ysgol Pen Coch, Flint.
Wherever possible the aim is to make the transition as smooth as possible by:
- arranging visits and shared projects from year 5
- sharing information about the pupils' interests, skills and abilities
- discussing preferred learning styles and classroom organisation
- having social opportunities throughout the year for year 5 & 6 pupils to experience activities at YMH
- having dedicated transition days in the spring and summer terms
Parents are encouraged to visit informally and formally for social occasions and open days/evenings, throughout the year.
Moving from primary to secondary school is an exciting and significant event in the life of your child.
It is an important milestone which, for many parents and teachers, marks a change in expectations regarding crucial life-skills such as independent working and self-organisation.
When pupils start at secondary school, they are expected to cope with a whole variety of new experiences and changes. This is why Ysgol Maes Hyfryd ensures an enhanced transition takes place for all pupils.
School Staff visit schools to attend Annual Reviews so that pupils are placed in the department most appropriate to their needs, Sensory or Key Stage 3.
Due to the Covid Pandemic transition this year has taken a very different form. Please check the booklet for more information.